Homeschool Umbrella Program Opportunities
for Homeschool Students at CBCA
Mrs. Amanda Wilson - Homeschool Umbrella Director • firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: The registration deadline for the 2023-2024 school year is September 1.
Calvary Baptist Church Academy (CBCA) is registered with the state of Maryland to oversee home instruction and verify compliance with the county. Our primary responsibility as an "umbrella" program is to verify that homeschool parents registered with us are providing regular, thorough instruction to their children according to COMAR 13A.10.01. Registration with CBCA Homeschool Umbrella allows students access to individual classes, field trips, sports, and fine arts opportunities.
The mission and purpose of the Calvary Baptist Church Academy Homeschool Umbrella Program is to assist parents who have chosen homeschooling as an alternative to public, private or Christian school education. We will assist parents by:
- Helping parents to comply with state regulations regarding homeschooling
- Offering support with respect to choosing curriculum, managing their child's portfolio, assessment, and overall progress
- Providing additional services, classes and opportunities
Services and Fees - 2023-2024
• Registration Fee
• IOWA Achievement Testing (Kindergarten – 10th grade, Spring 2024)
• SAT Testing (Date TBA)
• PSAT Testing (October 2023)
• Diploma and Graduation Participation (12th grade only)
$100/student (additional fee for cap & gown)
• Traditional Middle/High School Academic Classes (Grades 7-12) (Math, English, Science, Bible, History, and Spanish)
$1000/subject, plus book fee (varies per class)
• Fine Arts Classes – Kindergarten – 8th grade (Art, Band, Choir, & Music as offered)
• Fine Arts Classes – Grades 9-12 (Art, Band, Choir, Drama, & Speech as offered)
• Physical Education Participation (Kindergarten – 12th grade)
$25/student (includes PE Uniform)
• Sports Teams (Basketball, Soccer, & Volleyball as offered)
• Field Trips (as space permits)
Cost of admission
• School Events (as available)
Cost of event
• Transcript and Record Keeping
Included with registration
• Fine Arts Competitions (excludes Academic Testing)
Included with registration
• Fine Arts Competitions Academic Testing
Cost of Test
Note: Not all fine arts classes or sports may be offered each year.
Note: The registration deadline for the 2023-2024 school year is September 1.
Parents enroll by completing the Homeschool Umbrella Registration Form and paying the appropriate fee(s). Forms and payment may be dropped off at the school offices from 8:00 AM-3:00 PM each weekday or may be emailed to email@example.com. Payment may be made by cash, a check made out to CBCA, or online payment through https://cbcaknights.square.site. Parents must notify their county school superintendent via a "Home School Notification" form when they join the umbrella group.
A CBCA homeschool coordinator will meet with parents semi-annually in January and June to review student progress. To facilitate an accurate evaluation, parents must maintain a portfolio for each child which demonstrates clear evidence of instruction. A curriculum list, reading list, and monthly samples of student work for each subject should be included. Work should be clearly labeled with name, date and subject.
Students may take the Iowa Achievement Test in the fall and/or spring with our full-time students, depending on when CBCA offers it. Additional fees apply.
Opportunities for Umbrella Students in Grades 6 -12
- Courses - Students in grades 7 - 12 may register for 2 academic courses (Bible, English, math, science, history, or Spanish) per year at a per class charge as listed in the fee schedule. Books for each course are required at an additional fee. Fine arts classes in band, choir, art, speech, and drama may also be available.
- Sports - Students in grades 6 - 12 are eligible to try out for our sports teams. CBCA participates in an interscholastic sports program (MACSAC). Generally, boys' soccer and girls' volleyball is offered in the fall; boys' and girls' basketball in the winter; and girls' soccer in the spring. Practices and games are scheduled after school on most Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Each sport features a state tournament as well. All students must obtain a physical before beginning practice and must abide by CBCA dress and behavioral standards at all functions.
Opportunities for Umbrella Students in Grades 1 -12
- Courses - Students in grades K5 - 12 may register for physical education classes and fine arts classes in choir, art, music (grades K5-6th), and band (beginning in 4th grade) at a per class charge as listed in the fee schedule.
- Fine Arts Competition - CBCA participates in the Maryland Association of Christian Schools Fine Arts Competitions in the spring each year. These competitions offer students the opportunity to refine their music, speech, art, preaching, Bible teaching and academic skills.
- Field Trips - Individual academy classes schedule field trips periodically throughout the year. Parents who wish to include their homeschool students in the field trips must submit a signed permission slip and appropriate trip fee in advance to reserve a spot. Parents of elementary students must attend the trip as a chaperone. Students must abide by CBCA dress code and behavioral policies at all times.
- Students in grades K5-12 who join CBCA's physical education classes must wear the PE uniform provided by CBCA and included in the PE enrollment fee. Solid color black, navy, or gray sweatpants or athletic pants may be substituted in place of the PE uniform shorts. Yoga pants or non-CBCA shorts are not an acceptable part of the uniform.
- Students in grades 7-12 who join CBCA's fine arts or academic classes should wear clothing in a similar style to the CBCA uniform. Ladies should wear a knee-length skirt or dress; shirts should have sleeves and should not be low-cut. The only pants for ladies that can be worn are uniform pants that are purchased from Dennis Uniform. Gentlemen should wear a collared shirt (polo or dress) and khaki or dress pants; no jeans or athletic pants should be worn.
- Transcript and Record Keeping - CBCA will maintain records based on parent submissions at the portfolio reviews. High school courses for which credit has been granted will be recorded on a transcript.
- Diploma and Graduation Ceremony Participation - Students who have earned sufficient credits may participate in the academy graduation ceremony at the end of May. Transcript review is subject to administrative approval.
- We highly encourage our homeschooling families to join HSLDA, a Christian legal defense association. For as little as $12/month, families have access to legal representation for homeschooling issues.
For more information, please contact us at:
Calvary Baptist Church Academy
407 Marley Station Road
Glen Burnie, MD 21060
The registration deadline for the 2023-2024 School Year is September 1, 2023.
Homeschool Umbrella Registration Form (printable PDF to drop off or email)
Homeschool Umbrella Online Payment Link - prices reflect credit card processing fee
AA County Electronic Homeschool Notification Form - submit after July 2, 2023